Tom King’s Mister Miracle

Issue #1


What an intense start. For a story and as an opening. Psychedelic and trippy. I love how you can’t take anything for face value. We’re in the same position as Scott, not knowing what we can call reality. It makes for a great mystery and adds an unsettling air to the comic. I can’t wait to see what King adds to the void of confusion.


Issue #2


“Am I clean?” I don’t think so champ. I love the minute changes of facial expressions. The nine panel grid format here is used unbelievably well. Literally can’t trust anything or anyone here. And that’s gold. There’s an unknowing that can be frustrating and feels meaningless at some point, but this isn’t that. It works perfectly with Scott trying to escape death. The paranoid pill.


Issue #3


Scott is so nihilistic here it’s uncomfortable. I wonder if god is referring to Highfather or Darkseid. Or maybe the Life Equation or Anti-Life Equation. I was thinking that seeing the face might mean just understanding the prophecy and his place in how it can be carried out. Or just his role in the everlasting war between Apokolips and New Genesis.


Issue #4


These little vignettes are so interesting to me. It makes the story feel so scattered, just flickering to the next moment uncertain of the last one’s weight. It’s a positive type of confusion and mystery. Well Scott did indeed get trapped. Absolutely no idea who is being influenced by the Anti-Life Equation. 


Issue #5


Nobody can match the hands of Jack Kirby. Reading this while sick is a little heavy. 


Issue #6


Just married couple things. I wonder how much that’s going on is just noise. What can you believe in? 


Issue #7


The distortion has me questioning everything. I like that we don’t even know what happened between Orion and Scott. They really gave birth to Darkseid Jr. that’s tough. 


Issue #8


The war Mister Miracle costume reminds me of his Death of the New Gods one. Mister Miracle isn’t doing a lot of escaping, mainly just a lot of juggling.


Issue #9


Maybe everything’s real? That would be even more wild than everything being fake. King loves these sometimes random little parables or whatever, but this is one of his best ones. Thematically relevant and introduced naturally. Love that one panel of Kalibak being especially Kirbyesque. Darkseid smiling is just wow. I forgot he was even still alive. He’s had an important presence in the story but I wonder if it’ll go even further. 


Issue #10


Hmmm I think there may be some trauma somewhere here. Jacob is the key to everything. 


Issue #11


I like that both of Darkseid’s sons fulfilled the prophecy of killing him. There are still an endless amount of lies. 


Issue #12


Scott finally knowing he’s in a trap and choosing not to escape. Pretty tragic stuff. A lot I’m still wrapping my head around but Avery enjoyable series, I loved the horror of not being able to trust anything. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

X-Men vs The Brood