Miracleman by Alan Moore
Issue #1
Yeah this is incredible. Slight slight Star-Brand vibes. Moore is great at mimicking the style of comics from this time period. Interested in seeing how he’ll continue to play with familiar tropes and cliches.
Issue #2
Phenomenal art direction. The paneling, the coloring, the closeup shots, all of it is just impeccable. High level execution. And Moore’s prose. Oh wow. It’s been a while since I’ve read something from him and I’m reminded that he’s my favorite writer for a reason. What if Shazam was actually two people who are still one person is one incredible concept. Every page has my complete attention.
Issue #3
Well that took me by surprise. This lore goes so unbelievably hard. Big Ben’s story is especially sad when we can see the same way he’s experiencing reality.
Issue #4
Great issue, maybe evening my favorite so far. These little books are an interesting way to slowly but meaningful deliver the information about Miracleman and the truth behind him. It also allows for flashbacks to be integrated in a natural way while moving the plot forward.
Issue #5
Another banger. Interesting connection to future Miracleman writer Neil Gaiman with the strong dream presence here. I love the nod to Captain Marvel’s role in creation of the character. I’m fully hooked. I wonder how the distinction between Miracleman and Moran will be explored later.
Issue #6
Interesting arc for Cream, wish it was explored more meaningfully outside of these specific jungle lens storytelling and in times of conflict. I would be down for a Tom Strong type comic or even just arc of a “genuine” Miracleman experience.
Issue #7
I always love point of view shots. Probably the most creative killing of an archenemy, writing wise. The untouchable hero showed him his worth with ease, with no speech or resistance allowed to Gargunza. Hopefully he didn’t already infect or alter the baby. The baby is also still a scary unknown variable on her own, staring back at Gargunza a little while ago.
Issue #8
I guess the honesty is appreciated? Still the same result though.
Issue #9
Despite the warning I did not expect to be shown the actual childbirth. I wonder what the status quo on something like that was. Raw birth issue. Solid, like that the entire time was dedicated to this event.
Issue #10
I wonder if these are the original aliens. And what is Lear’s role in all this. Much to ponder.
Issue #11
A lot of narration boxes that are thoughts, but it didn’t really move me. If I reread this issue I’m sure I’ll be able to more fully acknowledge the prose but I’m not getting more insight into Miracleman this issue. A little underwhelming. Miraclemother transformation could be interesting.
Issue #12
A lot to take in. The origin stuff can be nice but it’s also pretty heady.
Issue #13
Yeah I was kinda checked out. It was a lot to ask to care about this whole different alien situation with their entirely different civilization and structure. I can’t lie, it took me out.
Issue #14
Jeez Moore. This might be his darkest issue in anything ever. Moran losing everything and choosing eternal solitude, not by physically dying, but by fully giving up. Heartbreaking. Bates finally being pushed to his limits despite trying so hard. Heartbreaking. I have no idea how any hope will be made going forward.
Issue #15
I hope the editors checked in on Moore because wow. Kid Miracleman was really the nemesis. Just a black hole of hate and a dragon to be slayed.
Issue #16
This issue kinda reminded me of a sci-fi version of Promethea. I enjoyed this book quite a lot, but feel unsteady about the ending. The whole alien angle just changed so much about the story and made it feel different in a way that wasn’t as satisfying to me as what the original trajectory implied. I’ll have to consolidate my thoughts about this still.
Comments
Post a Comment