All-Star Batman
Issue #1
JRJR will always be the platonic ideal for superhero art to me. Just my childhood as an artist. I hope they expand on Alfred shooting down the plane. He wouldn’t want the money and it does not seem like the way to protect Bruce at all. Charming first issue, and incredible art. Really elevates everything. The Cursed Wheel Duke training is interesting. I hope that the meaning of the colors are really explored.
Issue #2
The ears as weapons are hilariously awesome. Not too in love with this Two-Face redesign. I think his face being super goopy and monstrous works better for his character instead of looking like molten rock. But yeah this art is still incredible. Seeing Duke progress in his training while carrying the weight of his family problems. Just has you rooting for the kid.
Issue #3
Snyder is funny man. “Bat-Knuckles.” Cute issue, honestly I don’t think Harvey and Bruce being friends adds too much but I’m enjoying that aspect of the story because Snyder just writes it well enough. The whole Two-Face vs Harvey thing is good too.
Issue #4
These covers have been SO on point. The Beast is sometimes cool sometimes lame. Here he is cool. Feels like a great assassin and powerful killer. Felt it was a lame move removing the KGB part of his identity, but he really does feel like The Beast. Wished The Cursed Wheel focused more on the colors aspect.
Issue #5
Super small part of the story but I wonder how the kids are incentivized to not reveal their names to each other. Pretty complex conflict, I like it. Cool little reveal with Alfred and I like how the cure operates. That’s comic book magic at its best, having a serum that turns you good or evil and having to contemplate on which side of yourself is stronger. Batman letting free will win and making Harvey have to fight for himself is good. That Batman wink at the end is just the cherry on top. Super tight, great, arc.
Issue #6
Victor changing his goal from waking Nora up to waking her up in a better world is a genius follow up to a character that can be pretty one note. I think this shift in direction can be used to great effect by future effect. Pretty unique issue stylistically, wasn’t a distraction thankfully.
Issue #7
Wow something interesting actually done with Poison Ivy. Having her have beliefs about helping people while keeping her thorny side. This balance is almost never seen today. Batman being so manipulative while it was truly for a good cause and out of selflessness is good to see too. I like that it shows his paranoia/need for control is rooted in his desire for things to save others. The Cursed Wheel story is a masterclass in coloring.
Issue #8
The changes in the narration boxes did a great job of showing the control wrestled away from Batman and provided a great way of showing these hallucinations and warpings of the truth. One of the better ways I’ve been illusions be done. I love that this comic feels like Snyder is taking the opportunity to really try things, things that may be too out there for a mainline Batman book. Kids want their own heroes, amen. Go shine in the daytime, Duke.
Issue #9
R’as being behind everything felt like a great setup, but not much was done on the follow through. Batman using the Mad Hatter technology and combining it with everything built up to this point was a nice story beat, but we didn’t get to feel the impact of R’as being the central figure behind everything. He kinda just shows up to have his plans be dismantled, which sucks.
Issue #10
The Alfred delinquent reveal was obvious. Not unfun though. Batman Russian mafia (backup) arc doesn’t sound particularly gripping, but we’ll see.
Issue #11
Oh so this is all from Alfred’s perspective? Could be cool. Love the parental bond Alfred and Bruce share that feels like gets explored more each decade. Villains thinking Bruce is Batman trying to be Hush trying to be Bruce is just funny. Princess Vik stuff isn’t anything game changing but fun enough to see how it unfolds. This section of the comic really does feel like the leftovers.
Issue #12
Decent issues on their own, the larger story that’s being built up to isn’t really special though. Russian mafia stuff feeling quite generic.
Issue #13
It’s not poorly written. But I need this to connect closer to BATMAN. This was stated to be an Alfred story, but still I find its focus to be distracted. It tries to be an Alfred story while still leaning towards Bruce, which does not fully work.
Issue #14
You can’t say Snyder doesn’t know how to tie things together and wrap up a story. Alfred’s love for Bruce is so pure. Absolutely love that relationship. Wish it was examined in a more linear and direct way, but it ended at the right place.
Comments
Post a Comment