Simonson’s Fantastic Four (1961)
Issue #334
Ben talking about how unrealistic Batman is then revealing the real reason he didn’t see the movie because it was sold out is a good joke. Reed dinosaur is so….wow. I didn’t realize the Super Hero Registration Act was this old.
Issue #335
Political heavy issue but thankfully interested. I liked how every character’s background really informed their opinions. The villains being replaceable NPCs was a good gag.
Issue #336
Of course Doom was at the heart of it all. I like the pettiness of this specific plan. The hearing was good, funnily enough the congressman was right about the FF using the opportunity to shelf the act.
Issue #337
Have to appreciate the art for this issue. It’s never a good thing when you have a blue woman stuck in your head (unless you’re Master Chief.)
Issue #338
Reed instantly calling Johnny out on acting weird. Not usually a fan of time stuff but Galactus makes for a fun adventure.
Issue #339
Pretty meh on this plot, the conflict doesn’t mean much to me, and I feel like the grand idea of fixing time in this specific form is taking away from the interactions between members of the family.
Issue #340
I didn’t realize Gladiator was so honorable. I like the depiction of Galactus. Just so slightly humanized, but overall a cosmic being only seeking to satiate his hunger. He doesn’t need to say a thing.
Issue #341
Good Reed trickery. Probably an all time Simonson issue in terms of his art. He was just so on point for every set design, character, and act here.
Issue #342
Worst possible time for a fill-in. Nice little rabbit hole I went on trying to find out the origins of penciller Rex Valve. Two separate cases of a child dying setting themselves on fire to be like the Human Torch is hilarious. An attempt of earnestness that just comes off as corny.
Issue #343
I wonder why this Earth, this conflict.
Issue #344
This didn’t grab me. I just felt like this was a random event and not in an interesting way. Especially being in a random timeline, it was hard to care for it.
Issue #345
Trying to stay present, and there are some good moments, especially with Ben and Shary’s relationship, but this setup really means nothing to me.
Issue #346
Didn’t care for the time stuff, but seeing all the FF give Ben and Shary their space and letting that relationship develop more was nice.
Issue #347
Super cool cover. I am now familiar with Arthur Adams. He got it. Yeah this art is perfect for the Fantastic Four.
Issue #348
Was so meh on most of this issue but the fake infiltration reveal into the new FF thinking Reed is a Skrull is pretty baller/hilarious. However why would Sue follow this “Skrull Reed” when she saw him die and knows where his corpse is.
Issue #349
A lot going on in a fun way. Seeing all the different characters clash reminds you how a shared and lived-in universe can be so great.
Issue #350
Can’t believe that was just the prologue. Doom having to fight against his Doombots because they end up thinking they’re the real deal is just such a funny display of his deeply rooted narcissism. Highlight of the issue for sure. Love the Doom armor design, very slick.
Issue #351
Just a skippable fill-in issue. Not terrible or anything, even has some level of charm, but skippable still.
Issue #352
Good idea, fairly boring execution in my opinion. It didn’t feel like a time jumping fight, there was just a clock showing the different times.
Issue #353
Beautiful landscapes. Was that a Supergirl reference/cameo I spotted? This was a really good art issue.
Issue #354
Underwhelming run to be honest. Consistently great art and some fun character interactions at times, but just weird choices made with the plot and what to focus on. Most of the major plot points and the direction taken were just things that I couldn’t bring myself to care about. Unfortunately, this was mostly in the good not great category to me.
Comments
Post a Comment