Hardcore Station

 Issue #1

Not to be rude, but I when I read a lot of Starlin, I wish his art and his writing were at the same level of his vision. Then I wish his vision was better too. And this book isn't even that bad so far, just a very generic start with huge and cosmic ideas about vague concepts. And when our protagonist's name is "Chief Max Justice" with a design like that? It feels like a parody of the 90s. If there were more pouches I would absolutely be convinced that it was a parody of what was big at the team, I mean, just wow. And it has always been a personal pet peeve, but we are at a galactic crossroads of commerce with five million inhabitants and SOMEHOW we're stuck with just some guy. Maybe issue two will flesh things out, and I get completely hooked. Despite not enjoying this issue and not being the biggest Starlin fan historically, I'm open to having my mind changed.

Issue #2

That first page was genuinely comedic gold. Boring issue otherwise (insect assassins did not move me at all) but was worth it for that scene.

Issue #3

Synnar being this hulking brute with evil vibes and running a shelter and soup kitchen is a good bit. I like Max running away, which runs counter to what we know about him so far. I hope that gets touched on more. Synnar seems mostly aimable despite his introduction as a great monster. I like how he is presented though, I hope it isn't a facade and he is just a bad guy who can be polite and courteous. 

Issue #4

I get that this is a limited series but it really feels like we're just bringing up plot points and then on to the next one without feeling the weight of what's going on. And I get not getting too deep into things but we can only feel things through Max, as everything has to have weight through him, but even with this abridged story we're not getting a chance to do it. The writing just has to be tighter.

Issue #5

ZZZ.

Issue #6

This should have been a more streamlined story. We spent so much time away from Hardcore Station and with too many different characters. The result is a largely forgettable story.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

X-Men vs The Brood