Gambit (1997)
Issue #1
Love the cards as narration boxes. Gambit stealing redemption...nice. The gangsters laying down a tarp so they could kill him without getting blood on the art is darkly funny. I like this hero's journey with Gambit and this religious framing. Was not expecting this to be so well written. Love the specificness of his voice and character.
Issue #2
Art here feels like when Frank Miller gets too experimental. A little much for my tastes. I hope things are stating to come together so we have more time exploring their impact. I like some of the mystery here, but not a lot of time left to really explore it.
Issue #3
The jumping back and forth was irritating. Not focusing on an extended scene for the purpose of tension just muddied things up. I really didn't like that. Still wondering why Anielle seems so firmly attached to Gambit.
Issue #4
I do think the message of finding your way back to the light is cute and valuable and makes for a good ending, but at the same time, I'm left thinking "that's it?" I think Gambit reaching out and choosing to save another human could have been built up much, much better, and that it should have been a grander moment than just holding her arm. I feel like the importance of Katrina over someone who isn't human is also too big of a debate for Gambit's decision in choosing her for no reason to be the correct answer. Katrina's struggles should have also been made more apparent and a bigger factor in this story, even if it came at a cost to the "twist." I like the bigger picture of this story, but the individual brushstrokes seem to be so loose.
Issue #4
Comments
Post a Comment