Avengers Forever
Isssue #1
Hoping for some "Ant-Man" love here. A lot going on for a first issue, but I didn't mind it. Time stuff can be a lot to deal with so I appreciate already going all in. Hopefully things can stay a stable course. The Avengers based military slaughtering the unresponsive civilians was dark. Let's hope they're avenged.
Issue #2
I like dysfunctional teams so this looks like an interesting squad. The most interesting components to me is a shaken Captain America and two different Hanks. I wonder how the different mental stages of Hank react to each other and if it causes either to change, and if Captain America can clutch up and be reaffirmed of his purpose.
Issue #3
Cap's a little melodramatic, but he's recovering from some very fresh wounds, so I'll give him a pass. Yellowjacket is fully on go mode. I feel like he has to eventually fight the team or cause huge internal problems. It was strange seeing Kang give such a great speech, I loved that it caught the characters off guard as well. Of all the time-displaced heroes, I think Captain Marvel could be the most interesting, while super regular Hawkeye is the least interesting.
Issue #4
Great covers. Looking forward to more YJ and GM interactions, could be great to see how much Hank has grown. Kang is still a big player/manipulator, which is a good layer to add to the mystery side of this story. Even shaken up, Cap is a great leader. It's gonna be sad when he bounces back and then presumably has to go back to his own time with no memory of what happened.
Issue #5
Universe erasing. Interesting threat and conflict.
Issue #6
I really enjoy the cover. Cap has always been a man of the past. Wow, I also thought that Songbird warmed up to YJ out of nowhere, but was disappointed at the reveal of him being a Space Phantom. I thought that outcome was just too obvious and took away from YJ being a natural source of conflict. Pleasantly surprised that the reveal was for Songbird. If that was intended to have been read as fake-out reveal, that was super awesome. I didn't realize/remember that Captain Marvel had knowledge of these events. Him having memories of a doomed future that we're experiencing for the first time now is fun.
Issue #7
Solid stuff, this is the issue of hope where the Avengers are on he upswing. Good development for this Cap although it felt rapid.
Issue #8
This motivation for Immortus is super compelling. I wonder how true it is. A whole lot of exposition here. Some interesting stuff, but also just so so much. Immortus' schemes also lean into the trope of being needlessly complicated because the plot needs it (the problems of retroactively explaining events.)
Issue #9
Again, so much information to drop. I do, however, like how much it informs and enriches Kang. It's a wonderfully detailed history of the character that does well to flesh him out and present this grand struggle against becoming Immortus as a great conflict. It really is some high tier character work for the character.
Issue #10
I think things are picking up wonderfully. I also think it's beautiful how all these different groups are aiming to save/protect humanity/the universe, even if the Time-Keepers are only about a numbers and survival type of scenario. This is such an interesting conflict, where everyone's motivation to fight are just BANG!
Issue #11
I like the explanation for why each Avenger was chosen. That actually makes a lot of sense. Kang is great here; that desperation is palpable.
Issue #12
This book definitely got better in the back half. I like how Captain America's arc reunites him with his hope for humanity and its inherent positive traits. Kang separating Immortus from his future is a good way to revitalize him. I thought the conflict was handled nicely, really enjoying seeing how everyone's motivations were revealed and were surprisingly similar. Overall, a book of surprising depth. All the good makes the often corny dialogue forgivable.
Comments
Post a Comment