The Ultimates (2002)
Issue #1
Pretty solid first issue. The war stuff felt realistic, with this image of Cap and the reactions of soldiers around him probably being close to how things would go in the real world.
Issue #2
Enjoying this pretty thoroughly. I think the styles of playboy-hero Tony and insecure Bruce have been nailed perfectly. Fury seems super good here, I wonder when we'll see him make more cold-blooded decisions. I also really like how the buildup of this governmental super hero squad is going.
Issue #3
Loved that ending. The pop culture references are taking me out. Glad they're in here. They kinda make the book a product of its time funnily enough, but in a good way. Still so surprised at how affable Fury is. All the Cap stuff is wonderfully tragic. Another great issue. Seems like they're building up Pym to be an Icarus kind of character. Banner retreating in himself is never good because it leaves room for someone else to come out...
Issue #4
Who could have possibly seen that the constant needling of Banner would make him do something drastic??? I love the line, "But the honest-to-God truth of the matter is that I just missed being big." It really reinforces the relationship of jealousy he has with Giant-Man. This Thor seems like something Jason Aaron would have written, which I find interesting. Also Depp probably would have made a great Stark.
Issue #5
What a first threat. Hulk being gray was a nice touch. Giant-Man calling Hulk a little man, smh. Can't teach common sense. I really don't like Cap lying then hitting a defenseless and incapacitated Bruce. Such a lame way to end the battle.
Issue #6
Cute Batman reference with Alfred there.
The Hank and Jan stuff took things tooo far. It's just an escalation problem mixed with how it felt so poorly handled. Up until this point, we never really saw glimpses of their relationship being toxic, if anything it was the opposite. I feel like this twisted two of our protagonists in a way that didn't make their flaws more compelling, it was just bad to see. Anyway, the Jan mutant reveal was interesting at least.
I wonder if Tony is serious about the cancer. An interesting motivation for sure--possibly ties into the alcoholism?
Issue #7
I really hate how this Hank Pym stuff is going down. I think it's written pretty poorly (not completely, but I'd still call it bad overall), but I also feel like it's just so disrespectful and awful to have a whole new universe and decide that this was the absolute best direction to take the character. I mean, seriously? This is what you think maximizing the character looks like? I just hate it from a conceptual point of view.Issue #12
Comments
Post a Comment