Heroes In Crisis
Issue #1
That panel. "I can't remember." Wow.
Powerful introduction at least. Nice murder mystery setup. Big problem #1 for me is the killing of lesser known/less popular heroes just for shock value. Yes, there are also some big names, but there is also a lottt more of the forgotten ones who are being culled. I think it's pretty cheap to use characters like that just for death. To get a quick emotional reaction. On the other hand, I like that they're getting some more page real estate through the Sanctuary recordings. Big problem #2 for me is the choice of suspects. Harley Quinn was probably only chosen because of how much of a cash cow she is for DC. Booster Gold could work, but I think him being paired with Harley just makes things worse.
Issue #2
Really enjoyed all of the videos so far. I think they're all understandable and in line with their characters.
Tom King man...You really get me going with the powerscaling. It's not super important to me, but I mean Harley Quinn escaping Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman who tracked her down is just egregious. Especially with the weak showing here, where Wonder Woman is just left standing there, presumably "making sure Superman is okay," all while Harley gets away scot free, not even being followed. That's just bad. Superman being both Superman and Clark Kent, the same and different, is similar to the Batman mask question, but more interesting in my opinion. I think Superman exaggerating both parts of his identities is more subtle (most times/somewhat) and it makes for an interesting line to be drawn, especially considering Clark is who Ma and Pa Kent raised.
Issue #3
Woah this issue felt short. I like the Lagoon Boy section. He did, in fact, laugh. I'm just happy that after it all, he wasn't scared. Booster Gold being uncreative and just making himself, who is a tangible other that serves to chastise him, just tracks.
Issue #4
I like the polaroids of these traumatic events and injuries. I also like the name Heroes in Crisis, crazy use of crisis here, the most creative one I feel. I thought Ted would be just a figment born from Booster's guilt. Continuity is a funny thing. Tom had to have his little Watchmen moment, huh. Rereading this is making me appreciate some things a lot, in all sincerity, like how this book is actually fairly comedic. These moments don't take away from the tone either.
Issue #5
I don't like that they were magically able to track down Booster because "Batman is so good" but Harley isn't. Batman is still paranoid to the millionth degree, and if Skeets' futuristic system was uncrackable he would have known that too. I believe that the crisis is solvable with this issue.
Issue #6
Don't know if this is how Gnarkk is typically written, but I found him hilarious. I like the question of the number of people saved and all the different answers. Harley might be my least favorite part of this book (so far.) She's not good comedic relief and I just feel like she's too random for me to appreciate.
Issue #7
This is where things are kinda unravelling. Batman knocking out Ted so Harley could possibly kill Booster is such a stupid decision. What was the benefit of putting Harley in that position?
Issue #8
This issue fell extremely flat. Wally killing everyone? It's an accident, okay, sure. But for him to then create an elaborate crime scene, and frame two innocent people? Nah. Not at all. That level of character assassination is next level. All that just to give him a few more days to think? And Wally killing everyone with an explosion of speed force energy would have to have been so easily traced. The ball was really dropped here.
Issue #9
The awful twist/reveal stunk up this ending. It's hard to have any emotional attachment and hear Wally talk about hope after all that. I did appreciate some parts, like the discussion about mental health and why it was okay for the heroes to have these struggles, but with these conditions you can't even fully appreciate that. I wish that was the main focus instead of this stupid murder mystery. The worst part is how this was so clearly an editorial issue, which severely limited what this book could do and even is.
The Red Tornado - Vision reference was funny.
I think the videos got the Batfamily perfectly, with their insecurities. Some might say that's ironic given the reception of King's Batman run.
Comments
Post a Comment