Tomorrow's Stories
Tomorrow's Stories #1
Jack B. Quick was pretty basic, slightly funny.
The Greyshirt story just made me a little sad lol.
First American shows Moore being overt with his critique, which is not bad, but I get the sense he really hates the exaggeration and mind numbing nature of Jerry Springer.
Absolutely love the art here, it's the selling point of a simple story.
The Greyshirt story just made me a little sad lol.
First American shows Moore being overt with his critique, which is not bad, but I get the sense he really hates the exaggeration and mind numbing nature of Jerry Springer.
Absolutely love the art here, it's the selling point of a simple story.
Tomorrow's Stories #2
Love going through this first story with the thematic and written context translating across time periods, and also putting the full time periods in order. It's just a joy to follow and track. Super fun story. The Jack B Quick stories are slightly amusing due to how out there they are, and the slightly varied level of acceptance by the people around him. Other than that, it's been pretty much whatever. So far, I feel like The Cobweb is being saved by great art, but even so, the plot feels so short and thin. Love how explicit the F.A. commentary is, and it has some of the more fun uses of fourth wall breaking. I'm surprised Moore didn't go into how awful nostalgia is as a precursor to fascism. Bleak ending.
Tomorrow's Stories #3
I find the Jack B. Quick stories to be lacking. This one was decently silly, I guess. Not much else to it. "But when she looked back, Eurydice had gone." Woah. Good disappearing act, very noir.
F.A. is consistently good. Moore's humor is great, I love all the specific references and sayings he chooses to include. This was just a fun time.
This is the first Greyshirt story here that focused on him. Basic enough origin, not bad, it is what it is.
F.A. is consistently good. Moore's humor is great, I love all the specific references and sayings he chooses to include. This was just a fun time.
This is the first Greyshirt story here that focused on him. Basic enough origin, not bad, it is what it is.
Tomorrow's Stories #4
Alan Moore in a time-based mood okay.
F.A. story was harsher than I expected. Moore feeling very "anti" with this one.
This is the best Cobweb story so far. The shadows that lurk in men's hearts indeed. Having to accept someone else's darkness because you have some too is a natural part of the human experience, but this is the level of living in ignorance from the lies we live with.
I enjoyed this Greyshirt story while reading, but apart from the time travel aided-suicide, there wasn't much to grasp here. I think the future being dystopian Greyshirt based could have been used to say more.
Oh no, not less of Jack B. Quick! Who would ever want such a thing! Super excited for what could replace it.
Tomorrow's Stories #5
I love music, so I appreciated the connection between the music and the universe. A touching story. Alan Moore really in his bag for this one. I love how he can so effortlessly change his approach and his writing stylistically.
A First American funny. I always end up wishing his stories lasted longer so that Moore could go in on his critique. I feel like the disparaging of the direction of comics was the focal point but ended up taking a backseat to the jokes (which I found funny.) That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I do wish we saw more of the critique.
A First American funny. I always end up wishing his stories lasted longer so that Moore could go in on his critique. I feel like the disparaging of the direction of comics was the focal point but ended up taking a backseat to the jokes (which I found funny.) That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I do wish we saw more of the critique.
Tomorrow's Stories #6
Expected that Greyshirt twist sometime before the reveal, but that resolution is incredible. The descending and spiraling stairs. Wow.
The F.A. story was too goofy, slightly cynical in a way that didn't go anywhere it felt like.
Interesting to see all the sexual undertones in the Cobweb stories. Mostly generic but easily enjoyable. Splash feels very random but I am interesting. The art is super flexible and stylized, which I think is fun. Alan Moore calling himself Alan Less is the funniest thing.
Tomorrow's Stories #7
Comic book writer Alan Moore probably definitely knows a lot about the sanctity of art and commercialization. I had fun with the different art references.
Even today, the role of women in comics is a funny thing. Loved seeing how things shifted.
First American going through twentieth century history was crazy. Moore really puts all he can into the F.A. stories. Not bad, just a lot of information. Funniest part was how he incorporated the gun firing for transportation into so many events.
My favorite story. I love non-traditional methods of storytelling in comics. The cab driver's point of view was so interesting, especially with being able to see his face and reactions in the rearview mirror. POV comics are so fun.
Even today, the role of women in comics is a funny thing. Loved seeing how things shifted.
First American going through twentieth century history was crazy. Moore really puts all he can into the F.A. stories. Not bad, just a lot of information. Funniest part was how he incorporated the gun firing for transportation into so many events.
My favorite story. I love non-traditional methods of storytelling in comics. The cab driver's point of view was so interesting, especially with being able to see his face and reactions in the rearview mirror. POV comics are so fun.
Tomorrow's Stories #8
Average F.A. story. I liked it. Never the end! as long as there's money to be made.
The soap box joke was good. The 90s testosterone-filled mindless heroes was an awful trend, I'm glad Moore mocked this to an almost extreme degree. Even the art sold out for the sake of a crossover. Loved the Cobweb art. No grand thoughts about the story, it was fine.
My favorite. I enjoy how random the Greyshirt stories can be. The metacognition here reminded me of Rick's passion about dreaming and how meaningful he finds dreams, I wonder if that played a role here. I guess the man made up the story about the butcher but I wonder why the woman is smiling in the panel of her with her unscarred hands.
Tomorrow's Stories #9
Cobweb's Fables detective story was nice. First time she is explicitly mentioned to be attracted to women I believe.
We got the Superman, Spider-Man, Flash, Hulk, Batman, and Captain America origin stories all in one. Entertaining story.
The musical was so so fun. I loved envisioning and hearing the music in my head. Another Greyshirt banger.
Meh Splash story. I feel like it wasn't too comedic, although I loved the jokes about the Imperfect Ray, and the fights were just there. I didn't get enjoyment out of seeing the conflict unfold. Great cover though.
We got the Superman, Spider-Man, Flash, Hulk, Batman, and Captain America origin stories all in one. Entertaining story.
The musical was so so fun. I loved envisioning and hearing the music in my head. Another Greyshirt banger.
Meh Splash story. I feel like it wasn't too comedic, although I loved the jokes about the Imperfect Ray, and the fights were just there. I didn't get enjoyment out of seeing the conflict unfold. Great cover though.
Tomorrow's Stories #10
Wasn't looking forward to Jack B. Quick coming back, but it wasn't a bad story. The torturing of an alien could have a lot of interpretation.
Another good Greyshirt story. Somber. It was surprising, the feelings of sadness it brought out.
F.A. vs the two party system. A lot of this is quite relevant, especially if you look in the right places. Imagine pretending that the results of an election is false...
The fake future and alternate senses were fun. The end reveal of it being fake and just a gimmick to promote Tomorrow Stories was cute. Marilyn Manson music definitely has no calories.
Another good Greyshirt story. Somber. It was surprising, the feelings of sadness it brought out.
F.A. vs the two party system. A lot of this is quite relevant, especially if you look in the right places. Imagine pretending that the results of an election is false...
The fake future and alternate senses were fun. The end reveal of it being fake and just a gimmick to promote Tomorrow Stories was cute. Marilyn Manson music definitely has no calories.
Tomorrow's Stories #11
A trip around the music industry, stardom, and Hollywood. Pretty good.
Very anti-Nazi message, which I love. Painting them as disgusting roaches that need to be exterminated is true. I thought it was great how unaware of their own patheticness they were.
F.A. was a black comedy as always. This is a comic book, of course there'll be gratuitous butt-shots. Great art. Interesting concept carried out in a way that just made me feel whatever about the overall story.
Very anti-Nazi message, which I love. Painting them as disgusting roaches that need to be exterminated is true. I thought it was great how unaware of their own patheticness they were.
F.A. was a black comedy as always. This is a comic book, of course there'll be gratuitous butt-shots. Great art. Interesting concept carried out in a way that just made me feel whatever about the overall story.
Tomorrow's Stories #12
Nice little crossover. Not anything too deep or noteworthy, just fun to see these characters interact.
Fun Jack B. Quick story. Interesting miscommunication leads to a wacky outcome. Typical, but I enjoyed it. I know it's supposed to be somewhat tacky but I love that Next American costume. I wonder how much of this story has to do with comic authors changing and overhauling everything after a character is given to the next writer.
Fun Jack B. Quick story. Interesting miscommunication leads to a wacky outcome. Typical, but I enjoyed it. I know it's supposed to be somewhat tacky but I love that Next American costume. I wonder how much of this story has to do with comic authors changing and overhauling everything after a character is given to the next writer.
All in all, a good anthology series. I was expecting/hoping for something more substantial, which I did get from time to time to time depending on the story, but it was more just enjoyable vignettes. It's fascinating to see how Moore's brain works and which characters he uses to create a world and go deep into worldbuilding and which characters he uses to almost directly and solely focus on a real world topic.
Comments
Post a Comment