Superman: Year One

Superman: Year One Issue #1 

JRJR has mostly lost his sauce in the modern age which is sad. The omniscient narration that’s also slightly Clark does not work at all for me. It’s more of a distraction with weird and out of place metaphors. I thought Ma and Pa were also written weirdly, not really raising Clark in a certain direction or giving him good advice regarding his powers or identity.

Superman: Year One Issue #2

I get that Lori is part of the Superman mythos, but it’s so odd to make her such a large part of his origin. There’s this huge focus on the sea and Clark being drawn to the world Atlantis that doesn’t fit with this story of Superman’s growth. So far, Frank has been depicting Clark as this extraordinary alien figure, which is just not how I see Superman or think he should be interpreted as.

Superman: Year One Issue #3 

Yeah, this was horrible. Lana almost getting sexually assaulted in issue one and Batman making an allusion to Luthor getting raped in prison are very weird things to put in a Superman book. What a weird thematic element. This last issue crammed in so many unnecessary elements, like the fight between Batman and Superman with the random appearance of Wonder Woman, and mentioning the bottled city of Candor. It wasn’t good from issue one, but I am surprised at how completely it fell apart. Aside from issues of plot and general writing, this is one of the worst Superman characterizations I’ve ever read.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

X-Men vs The Brood