Superman: Red Son

Superman: Red Son Issue #1 

Such a great first issue. I love how Jimmy is pretty much the same, down to his speech patterns while he's working for the government. Both Luthor and Superman are shown to be incredibly intelligent and capable. I love the classic Luthor pettiness here. Everyone trying to force Superman into politics when he just wants to save people was interesting. Much deeper story than "what if Superman was a Soviet?"

Edit: Also surprised that the U.S. pretty much told everyone how badly they were losing the Cold War because of Superman.

Superman: Red Son Issue #2 

Batman HATES fascism. First time I read I completely missed Lori, Sivana (once misspelled), and Alfred. It doesn't really make sense for Superman to allow the U.S. to oppose him so openly when he controls almost every aspect of his citizens choice. The only reason I can come up with is that he can't make a change in a nonagreeing country without breaking his no killing rule.

Superman: Red Son Issue #3 

I still think the Superman turnaround after seeing the world in a bottle message was a little too extreme for such a pretty obvious statement, but I do like it more now. Supes wanting control has been a main theme of this book and it shows how much he wants to do something that is no better than his biggest failure. Pretty great Superman story. Luthor's intelligence is pretty unbelievable even for comic book standards. Still don't like the ending.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

X-Men vs The Brood