Stan Lee Fantastic Four (1961)


Fantastic Four (1961) Issue #22 

Sue finally gets an upgrade. And it's a diverse one too. People are talking about Ben saying it's clobberin time but I was more focused on the fact that I think this was the first Aunt Petunia mention. Either way, an important issue. The Mole Man stuff was pretty take it or leave it to me, but the dialogue and developments were enough to keep me decently engaged.

Fantastic Four (1961) Issue #21

The Adolf Hitler reveal was definitely unexpected. I was honestly underwhelmed after seeing that cover. Just a typical ray that makes people angry, and not much deeper than at, at least, not consistently. There's a glimpse of talking about how bigotry is unamerican, but it doesn't do more.

Edit: I'm liking the longer and slimmer characters from Kirby here.

Fantastic Four (1961) Issue #20

Reed: A man who has met several alien races, shocked at proof of solid existence that life exists in outer space.

.

.

.

Ok.

Molecule Man was fun enough, and I liked how he was a big enough threat for the Watcher to intervene, but I find myself wanting a little more than another powerful villain losing because of his ego.

Fantastic Four (1961) Issue #19

Fun issue, loved the Reed stretchiness in this one. Time travel plots can either be way too much or a good ride and this was definitely in the second category.

Fantastic Four (1961) Issue #18

I thought the Skrulls were absolutely terrified of Earth and thought that taking Earth on would be more trouble than it's worth. Oh well. The Super Skrull was an exciting villain, and they kept his intimidating presence while creating an in for the FF to beat him. Thrilling fight.

Fantastic Four (1961) Issue #17

I was pretty meh on this issue. I feel like Sue's powers have been a struggle to find good usage of and good threats for.

Fantastic Four (1961) Issue #16

I wish there was a bigger focus on the crossover aspect of this. The entire premise is shrinking and Ant-Man still felt like a stray thought. I liked the design of the Micro-World characters.

Fantastic Four (1961) Issue #15 

Cool pin-up. I like the Thinker's gimmick, and I think that they should have went all in on it directly. Didn't care for most of the issue's peripheral stuff. The gag of someone who the Thing outclasses wanting to fight him, but he just ends it by flexing on them is golden.

Fantastic Four (1961) Issue #14 

Sue being a Namor apologist is more than a little annoying lol. I liked seeing Reed's sadness over the one accomplishment he can't get. I liked that piece of characterization. Reed's expression after Namor escapes is crazy. I love how his darkened eyes really convey an anger that we haven't seen from the character before, and that it's because Sue is in danger. Cute that Ben brought Alicia along with the thought process of "whatever happens...we'll be together!"

"Strange how nobody is ever really master of his own fate!" Another quote I liked.

Fantastic Four (1961) Issue #13 

I wished this was a 1 for 1 ape Fantastic Four team, but this was fine too. As I was reading, I expected to see some Inhumans on the moon, but the Watcher is cool too. I love how his beyond human nature and alienness was emphasized here. Very cool. All the anti-communist plots from this time sorta just blend together for me but the Watcher stuff was memorable at least.

Edit: I find it funny how many issues end with the FF just watching as their enemies "'die."

Fantastic Four (1961) Issue #12 

Not a bad crossover. I like seeing the new power uses with each issue. Johnny showed how diverse his abilities were in this one.

Fantastic Four (1961) Issue #11

Gangway needs to make a comeback. Meta issue, I liked how they addressed the concerns. I'm really liking how this comic takes the time to have the FF reach out and just talk to regular people. It's so wholesome. The Impossible Man being a needy toddler is so good. Funny story with a nice resolution.

Fantastic Four (1961) Issue #10 

This issue was just incredible. I thought having Stan and Jack as characters was so insane. I like that their faces weren't shown, and that the same was done for Dr. Doom. Lot of really dynamic angles and point of view shots in this issue. Genuinely love this one so much.

Fantastic Four (1961) Issue #9 

I loved this dumb, silly issue. Namor in the green trunks is top tier. Reed losing all of their money in stocks is actually insane, what a guy. Namor's plan to defeat the FF was stupid, but it was fun and seemed to cater towards his warped sense of honor. Bizarre issue, but said mostly complimentarily.

Fantastic Four (1961) Issue #8

This was a great use of everyone's powers. Interesting that the puppets have a reciprocal effect, with the Puppet Master being burnt by touching the puppet of the man Johnny was currently saving. I thought that would for sure factor into his defeat.

Fantastic Four (1961) Issue #7

I'm having a fun time with this. I didn't know the Thing would be this hostile, but it's interesting how much the transformation has heightened his anger. Cute that Johnny stood up for him and said "Nobody does that to the Thing--nobody!"

Fantastic Four (1961) Issue #6 

I like the sorta slice of life moments here, like Reed taking the time to see the sick kid. I find it funny how often Sue has used her powers to scare/surprise people for basically no reason.

Fantastic Four (1961) Issue #5 

The chapter segues are so small, but give the book character. Ben is pathetic in a sad and endearing way. He just wants to normal and the pain of that desire being unfulfilled is so tangible. I liked the first Doom appearance, with a Doombot, time travel, and that Kirby design.

Fantastic Four (1961) Issue #4 

Good Hulk hype. Ben can be so obnoxious but he is a tragic character nevertheless. The Namor stuff was alright, loved the chapter five cover.

Fantastic Four (1961) Issue #3

Miracle Man was fun. I loved that you could tell there was something off about him from the start. I kind of ignored it before, but I didn't know about Ben's feelings for Sue which are being brought up more than once. Such a strange dynamic for the group but I'm here for it. Lot of more clashing than I expected.

Fantastic Four (1961) Issue #2 

Crazy that they call him Thing in private, like that's still a human being 😭. Can't believe Skrulls are here in issue two, but Silver Age Marvel literally created the foundation for the entire universe within most of the first few issues of any Jack and Stan book. This was simple but still entertaining.

Fantastic Four (1961) Issue #1 

Nice in media res start. Kirby really want all out here, wow. Interesting to consider that the FF's first villain is the disfigured Moleman after what happened to them. Wish there was some connection made there in the writing.

(and because I'm a follower: Started April 3rd, 2024 :))

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

X-Men vs The Brood