Batman: Three Jokers
Batman: Three Jokers Issue #1
A lot to like and dislike here. I love the art, and the scars slowly turning into a Joker's best hits was great visual storytelling. I love how aged, rough, and just worn Bruce looks here. I also love how Batman's dialogue tag about Barbara was placed over the panel at Gordon looking at her. Good double meaning there. Batman not realizing he's fighting three different guys is hilarious but it's just something you have to overlook, at least a little bit. I thought the drama was already overplayed in this first issue, with the tension between Bruce and Jason just a little too much. Ends on a cool moment though, "I hope that's the right one."
Batman: Three Jokers Issue #2
Interesting concepts here, but they're all way too loose. "You're the Red Hood first and then you become the Joker." Interesting but doesn't relate to Jason's trauma as depicted/furthered here. Also really horrible choice to have Batman beating and KILLING the Joker's victims with no hesitation. Really, what was Geoff thinking with that? The trauma bond between Jason and Barbara could have been written so much better, the way Jason attaches himself so strongly onto Barbara really comes out of nowhere, and just feels pathetic to be completely honest. One moment I really did like in this issue was how Batman had to put on a brave face before he confronted Joe Chill. Very nice touch.
Edit: The Joker hurting when he laughs is another interesting but ultimately meaningless concept.
Batman: Three Jokers Issue #3
This issue was absolutely horrible lol. The Jason and Barbara sideplot/"romance" is supposed to be tragic or just not meant to be, but it's handled so poorly for the sake of cheap drama. I think cheap is the perfect word to explain it. I do like the Joe Chill stuff in this issue, and how at multiple times Batman chooses to help him. Batman saves Joe Chill, and Bruce chooses to forgive Joe Chill. That's great stuff. The distinctions between the three Jokers ends up not mattering at all, which feels very disappointing, and confusing. I hate how this serves as somewhat of a sequel to Killing Joke. The point is missed entirely when the Joker is depicted as an abusive husband even before his turn. He's supposed to be an ordinary man made unordinary through the world or his own personal choices. Having him be a bad person from the start is such a horrible take on that version of the character. Logically, it makes sense for Batman to know the Joker's identity, but that retcon makes every moment where he's questioning the Joker's identity so much worse. Him lying to every single character about this fact is odd, but it's worse that something like this would be hidden from the reader. Even the Mobius Chair setup contradicts this outcome. I think Joker knowing Batman's identity is much better than the other way around, because there's good drama and a dangerous relationship that stems from that. But with Batman knowing the Joker's identity ruins the mystique of it all. There's a reason why the Joker isn't given a definitive name. The first thing of the first issue is a visual reference to the Killing Joke, but this story ignores all the elements that make the Killing Joke matter, such as the knowledge about identities. It just leaves such a sour taste in my mouth.
Comments
Post a Comment