Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Issue #1
Wow, this issue is incredible. At first, I was disappointed that so much seemed to be stagnant (Gordon is still the commissioner, Alfred is still Bruce's butler), but I realize it's because Miller wants to really tackle the Batman mythology, just some years down the line. And it feels properly mythological, with Batman at first being a creature hidden from the shadows again, until he properly emerges. It's Batman with all the experience in a new age. Very compelling concept and great delivery. Seeing Harvey so utterly broken was emotional. I also liked the touch of having the paneling for his introduction done in twos. I also love Miller's use of descriptive language in Batman's inner monologues. Miller at his best is near untouchable, just so much to love here.
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Issue #2
I really like how so many characters are so apathetic/stubborn and full of convictions but also ignorant. A lot of people with power, but don't know what they're doing. Seeing the way Batman feels about Robin is both sweet and sad, he's truly a man who can't do this alone. I feel like Miller loves, or at least greatly appreciates the character of Commissioner Gordon. I absolutely love the way he writes Gordon.
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Issue #3
Another great one. Carrie Kelly is a gem. All the Superman scenes were incredible. I love how he's a speeding blur for his introduction, similarly to Batman returning as a shadowed mystery. I'm reminded of Kingdom Come thematically, although I know this came first. The silhouettes are amazing, so many different and dynamic poses for Superman. I think Miller gets it so right that Batman wants to kill Joker (he even tries to!), but in this final confrontation just can't bring himself to. Joker choosing to kill himself to frame Batman is peak Joker as well. This story is dark, heavy, but it's not hopeless. I love that.
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Issue #4
Man, this was a killer read. From a good enough death to a good enough life. I love the Watchman like beauty and humanity even in the darkest moments. The boy with the radio saving the priest is a small moment that means so much. Batman refitting the S.O.B.s (clever there Miller) for his own purposes, and changing their methods was such a great choice, I was wondering the significance of the group. Fantastic ending of Batman taking the "sons" of Joe Chill and teaching the new generation his way.
Comments
Post a Comment