Tales from the Dark Multiverse

 Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Batman Knightfall

I quite enjoyed this issue. The art was solid and I was surprised by the brutality, which was tastefully done. The ending felt a little rushed/forced?, but not bad, it is part of the dark multiverse after all. I also liked seeing Bruce's convictions and really connected with how they explained his views on Gotham and what being its protector means. I wish they explored his shift in views a little more, but I guess that would have taken some kick out of the twist ending. Absolutely loved the colors by Alex G.!

Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Crisis on Infinite Earths

Surtur was a pretty lame villain so I honestly didn't like the start at all. But when it got to the emotional aspect of the heroes recovering and trying to remain hopeful through their personal losses, I felt it hard. Out of everything in this issue, I think that was nailed PERFECTLY. The rest of the plot didn't do much for me, and Alan Scott becoming Silver Surfer was...alright I guess. Decent issue overall.

Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Death of Superman

I'm not too well read in regards to Superman but I've never been a big fan of Lois. But here I found her role to be so compelling, as the person closest to Superman, but as a civilian, not treated as important. I loved her character arc of going from hating humanity for not valuing Supes to questioning Clark's methods and actions as a whole, to finally breaking and realizing that she ruined his legacy. Found this to be a very natural/smooth progression. Great stuff.

Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Flashpoint

I think the concept of Thawne using Flashpoint as his own universe to play around with was pretty neat, but I just couldn't get on board with the rest of the issue. This concept doesn't really get time for exploration until the very end, which I thought was disappointing. Thawne definitely works best playing against the Flash, but I did enjoy his cruelty and lethality here. Liked Thawne's description on the massive effect Superman has on people.

Tales From the Dark Multiverse: Batman: Hush

Meh. I really liked the page explaining how this Batman learned all of his abilities, but other than that it's a pretty standard what-if issue. You look at the changes and go "that's different, cool!". And I do take enjoyment in that, it's just that there's not much more to it than that. I appreciated how the atmosphere is attempted to be setup, but it just didn't do it for me.

Tales From the Dark Multiverse: Infinite Crisis

I liked. Seeing the greater lengths Ted goes through to prevent a crisis while trying to justify them and keep his humanity intact was incredible. The page where he cradles Booster Gold's lifeless corpse among all the fighter is heartbreaking. Good issue.

Tales From the Dark Multiverse: Blackest Night

The art really elevated this one. Sinestro was a great choice for a protagonist. I liked having him deal with his arrogance after it cost him everything.

Tales From the Dark Multiverse: Teen Titans: The Judas Contract

Wow this was terrible. Terra is just an unlikable character, she's not even in the "you love to hate her" category. Following her just feels like a chore. She presents nothing interesting and her powers are strengthened beyond any reasonable limits just to be a source of conflict in this dark multiverse tale. It does not work. On a re-read I think I like this one even less. Disappointing from start to finish.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

X-Men vs The Brood